Sunday, September 30, 2012

Soul Woman

My first day or two at my new school as a brand new teacher and one of the other teachers is trying to be helpful, I think.


She says to me: I don’t know if anybody has mentioned to you that there aren’t a lot of people of color at this school…

This IS Vermont, right? So of course there aren’t a lot of people of color in this small town at this small school in Central Vermont. This school is 1/3 the size of the school where I student taught and worked as a paraprofessional last year. There were only a handful of us at that school. So I kind of figured this school would be even less diverse – if there is such a thing.

Then, I saw the school was seeking a girls’ middle school basketball couch. I inquired of the Athletic Director as to the time commitment and responsibilities of the position. I swear he was salivating – a Black woman inquiring about basketball. He couldn’t get out fast enough a date for a quick interview. It reminded me of a silly movie 20 years ago entitled Soul Man. Some guy dyes himself Black so he could get accepted into Harvard Law School under a Blacks only scholarship. When he goes to participate in a pick-up game of basketball, the two teams literally fight over who will get him. And he is a terrible basketball player. It was one in a string of hilarious stereotypes gone wrong.

I don’t got game. I know nothing of basketball. But since it’s a small school I thought it was a wonderful way to get involved, build relationships, have fun, and become more physically active. I planned to work on basic fundamentals. After a couple of days of snickering when I passed him in the halls, I finally confessed to the athletic director. He still wanted to meet with me. I believe his thinking is that an inexperienced woman might be a little better than a male parent for girl’s basketball. I had my first interview which went very sell. Second interview this week.  We shall see…



If I do take the position, when and if offered, I may just have to be concerned about parents and fans.

4 comments:

  1. Dawn ,this made my day. thanks for sharing and I hope you don't mind my chuckles through your moments. When I went up there, Rutland, I was thinking yeah, pretty white. But what I didn't even notice, to which my Vermont, friend pointed out to me, is that I stood out like a sore thumb, she said. To which I replied, really. I am so oblivious. She said people don't dress like you around here. And I said, like what. Anyway, it was a strange experience.
    Keep up the good but hard work!
    miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    What prompted your family to move to Vermont?

    I gather that you moved there from Connecticut. Did you live in a rural community there? And, how did you decide on farming?

    Does your farm produce things that you sell? What are your goals?

    I found your blog because I imagine I would like to live on a farm. I am African-American and would love to be in the company of other black farmers.

    I envision an enclave something like Sag Harbor with farms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apologies for the delay in my response. we lived in an urban area in CT, we just wanted a different way of life. we wanted to do all the cliche stuff: live off the land, have animals, grow our on food, live off the grid. its way more romantic in thought, but we have no regrets.

    we have sold eggs and are in the process of processing fiber for possible sale as well. we have alot of goals, too many to mention here.

    feel free to email us directly at blackinvermontfarm@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. HVAC technicians in Vermont enjoy a lot of opportunities, but they start out with training. This is mandatory for anyone looking to make a living out of a technical course, as the degree or certificate conferred is required to legally work in the state. HVAC Training in VT

    ReplyDelete