Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Drinking In Rural Vermont

In rural Central Vermont, there aren’t a lot of bars where one can hang out. People I know that drink alcohol, drink at home, or drive to a more populated area to imbibe, on occasion. So unless you notice what people are buying at the store, you might never know they drink alcohol– or how much. I was at the store the other day to buy a beer and a woman is watching me walk in. when I greet her, she asks me if I’m the new Health Teacher (more about that in later post). I explain I’m student teaching at the local school. Her daughter speaks ups and says that she will have me next semester. So after talking a few minutes I go to the back of the store and hide…until they leave. The last thing I need is for a 7th grader to tell everyone in school that she saw me at the store buying beer! I already stick out and don’t want to stick out for that too. I work at a hospital part-time since I went back to school... a patient came in that had recently been admitted to the hospital for vaginal bleeding, tremors, headaches, nausea and vomiting. Her diagnoses included alcohol-induced hepatitis. Her photo ID showed a woman who had full cheeks. In person, physically she was gaunt with facial lesions and looked to be about 60 years old. We are the same age! Her discharge papers indicated that she regularly drank 3-4 bottles of wine per day.

I went online to research conditions and diseases associated with drinking. They include liver disease, pancreatic disease, cardiovascular disease, gastrointestinal problems, neurological disorders, reproductive disorders, cancer, and psychiatric issues. Not to mention the social issues (like hiding in the back of the store to buy a beer). check out this picture http://www.infowise101.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/alcohol-effects2.jpg
I naturally thought about my drinking habits and although it would be wonderful to lose some weight, I don’t want to be in her position. When my husband called and asked me to pick up some beer on the way home – I emphatically replied "hell no". He thinks I've lost my mind...

I think I got the message about drinking.

“When you know better, you do better” Maya Angelou

1 comment:

  1. Like almost everything else in life, moderation is the key. Research indicates better health outcomes for those who consume no more than the equivalent of 1.5 ounces of 80 proof per day, as contrasted to those who completely abstain or those who indulge to a greater degree. Of course, if the choice is between abstinence and over indulgence, clearly abstinence is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete