Sunday, October 18, 2009

Vermont Women's Conference

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."

So I decided to go to this conference to get feedback on my ideas for being a farmer/rancher (more about that in a future post). I had no idea how many women would attend, but I had a pretty good idea that I would be the only person of color. I was wrong! When I walked in there was actually another Black woman there - I immediately introduced myself. She was a dear! We attended the same workshops and had lunch together. She invited up to her home. Later I saw two other women who were ambiguously ethnic (unknown ethnic origin). I was strangely encouraged. And everyone else I met in the workshops and at the organization tables were very nice.

The keynote speaker was Lilly Ledbetter of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act - the first Act President Obama signed into law. She was fabulous! She was introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy who was joined by his spouse. The President of Vermont Technical College, where the even was held, was a pretty good speaker as well. I completed bogarded (is that a racial slur?)my way to the front of the line and took a picture with them.










Senator Leahy's office sponsored this conference. He chatted with me about the picture he took of President Obama (I just love writing that) signing the act. He stood behind President Obama and took the only picture from behind. Leahy and his wife presented the picture to Ms. Ledbetter. Leahy also advised me he had a Black son (in law?) and several Black grandchildren. Apparently his son is now one of the photojournalists on President Obama's staff. Then he had his assistant take my name. Not sure why, maybe he wants this picture...?

The workshops I attended were pretty good - very informative and encouraging. The other women had some fabulous, eco-friendly, interesting ideas, all in various stages of development. Stuff I never would have thought of. Although everyone was pretty friendly, I was hesitant to share my business ideas. I wasn't sure it was a safe space. But a wise friend of mine once told me that we create our own safe spaces. So I shared my ideas and was very encouraged by the feedback.

The inspirational speaker at the conclusion was good. She said if we always have to witness something before we can do it, we will never be the first (like President Obama) and we will be limited to what others have already done. I liked that.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very very interesting blog! I am enjoying the pictures and the interesting stories! I have some questions to ask. First, how did you guys end up in Vermont? Are Vermonters friendly towards you? Do you get a great deal of stares? Would you recommend other black people move there? I love the blog, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina
    No noticeably stares. We were up here a year ago campaigning for Obama and loved it. We both decided if we were going to do something drastic, this was the time. Vermonters and very friendly. Yes! Let's bring more diversity to Vermont! But, you will have to consider job availability, and rural vs suburban vs urban. We chose rural. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete